Flogita, or Nea Flogita, is a farmland-surrounded village on the southern shore of that part of Halkidiki that is not one of its 3 peninsulas. It is one of a hand full of places in the region that face neither east nor west, but south. Thessaloniki is about 50 km northwest, and Nea Potidea is about 12 km away to the southeast.
The population, partly by virtue of its closeness to Thessaloniki, balloons from 1,500 to over 20,000 during the summer, including day visitors. There are lots of tavernas, beach bars, clubs, cafes, restaurants, and bars. Flogita is known as a place to party.
The south-facing, 1 km-long beach is broad, sandy, and well-organized with umbrellas, sun beds, and water sports. Its exceptionally clear waters have been awarded the EU's Blue Flag designation for cleanliness. The water deepens gradually the further you go in, which keeps it shallow, warm, and great for kids, and for water sports.
Flogita, or Nea Flogita (its official name) was settled in 1923 by Greeks from Flogita, Cappadocia in central Turkey, after having been forcibly removed after the Greko-Turkish war of 1922, the so-called Asia Minor Catastrophe, which involved a failed invasion by Greece to regain her ancient holdings in Anatolia. Its older residents still speak an Asia Minor, Cappadocian-based Greek dialect with elements of ancient Greek, and some Turkish influences.