+ 16 photos
Kato Zakros. Crete
Hidden in the mountains of the East Crete, Kato Zakros was a big center of the oldest in Europe Minoan civilization 3.900 years ago. Why many people are choosing it for their holidays today?
- Unique natural location. The green valley, hidden between the beautiful rocks and the sea, has unique atmosphere.
- Here is located the archaeological site of the fourth largest Minoan palace found so far in Crete.
- Most citizens of Upper and Lower Zakros are engaged in agriculture, mainly in the production of olive oil. There are 250.000 olive trees grown here. On your staying here, you can enjoy plenty of natural products from olives, vegetables and fruits.
- Kato Zakros’ beach takes every year the European Blue Flag Award for the perfect purity of its waters. In total, 115 Cretan beaches received this recognition in 2019.
- Kato Zakros is the last Greek point of the European walking route E4, which continues and ends in Cyprus island.
- The Canyon of the Dead begins in the village of Zakros and goes into the valley of Kato (Lower) Zakros. The archaeologist Nikolaos Plato named it so, because of a many ancient graves he found in the caves of the canyon. The walls of the gorge are good for climbing.
- Several complexes of villas and apartments are making your stay here just perfect. Their owners welcome every guest and are happy to help them with any activities in the area.
How to get here
- By car: from Heraklion (3 hours), from Sitia (40 minutes).
- By ferry: Piraeus - Heraklion (every day, Minoan Lines, ANEK), Piraeus - Sitia (Monday, Friday, LANE).
- By plane: Athens - Sitia (4 times a week, Aegean Airlines).
- Tourist information: +30 28430 615-46
- Sitia Hospital: +30 28430 243-11
- First-aid post of Zakros: +30 28430 932-65
- Police: +30 28430 612-22
- KTEL Sitia (Intercity Bus Station): +30 28430 222-72
- Taxi: +30 28430 613-80
- Pharmacy: +30 28430 614-10