West of ierapetra, 26 km, at the mouth of the river Sarantapihos, in a Green Valley with olive and orange groves are built the beautiful, seaside, tourist village of Myrtos. It took its name from the common Periwinkle or Myrthia which grows in the area. The beaches, deep blue waters, the aura of the Libyan and the mild climate, have established for years as an ideal place for Myrtos.
The Myrtos, today the local community in the municipality of Ierapetra, in 1630 he had 28 residents, had 127 1881 and 2001 440 inhabitants. One of the most popular resorts in the region, enchants with its beauty, while hiding behind a very rich historical past.
The tranquil surroundings and a great feeling of mental uplift of the region are the main features that every visitor admires in Mirtos. The area bustles with life during the summer months is highly developed. The long promenade as well as the inner workings of the village, there are many shops, taverns and of course all sorts of property. The narrow streets are ideal for walks, while the village and Museum, dedicated to the history of the place and includes archaeological collection, with great finds from the ancient history of the area.
In the position “fournou korfi” is located one from the first settlements of Minoan era, the only Minoan period that is fully excavated, which developed particularly the potteries while uniformity in buildings shows that at that time were not developed or even social discrimination among residents. Element that seems to change in subsequent phases of Minoan culture, as illustrated by the luxurious mansion that survives in place Tower. In Mírtos, at a later stage of the Minoan civilization, flourished and another community from which survive today remains a luxury Palace in place Tower. West of Myrtos are the traces of the Roman past of the region, with various buildings baths and mosaics.
Like almost all the villages of the region West of ierapetra, Myrtos suffered from German occupation with the War Memorial in the Centre of the village to witness the executions that took place in 1943.